News

Late-night host Stephen Colbert isn’t backing down from public dispute with CBS bosses

Late-night host Stephen Colbert isn’t backing down from public dispute with CBS bosses

FILE - This photo combination shows Stephen Colbert, left, in Los Angeles, Sept. 12, 2022 and Texas Rep. James Talarico, Aug. 16, 2025, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Talia Sprague, Jae C. Hong, file) Photo: Associated Press


By DAVID BAUDER AP Media Writer
Stephen Colbert isn’t backing down in an extraordinary public dispute with his bosses at CBS over what he can air on his late-night talk show.
On “The Late Show” Tuesday, Colbert said he was surprised by a statement from CBS denying that its lawyers told him he couldn’t show an interview with Democratic Texas Senate candidate James Talarico — which the host said had happened the night before.
He then took a copy of the network statement, wrapped it in a dog poop bag, and tossed it away.
Colbert had instead shown his Talarico interview on YouTube, but told viewers why he couldn’t show it on CBS. The network was concerned about FCC Chairman Brendan Carr trying to enforce a rule that required broadcasters to give “equal time” to opposing candidates when an interview was broadcast with one of them.
“We looked and we can’t find one example of this rule being enforced for any talk show interview, not only for my entire late-night career, but for anyone’s late-night career going back to the 1960s,” Colbert said.
Although Carr said in January he was thinking about getting rid of the exemption for late-night talk shows, he hadn’t done it yet. “But CBS generously did it for him,” Colbert said.
Not only had CBS been aware Monday night that Colbert was going to talk about this issue publicly, its lawyers had even approved it in his script, he said. That’s why he was surprised by the statement, which said that Colbert had been provided “legal guidance” that broadcasting the interview could trigger the equal time rule.
“I don’t know what this is about,” Colbert said. “For the record, I’m not even mad. I really don’t want an adversarial relationship with the network. I’ve never had one.”
He said he was “just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies.” CBS is owned by Paramount Global.
Colbert is a short-timer now at CBS. The network announced last summer that Colbert’s show, where President Donald Trump is a frequent target of biting jokes, would end in May. The network said it was for economic reasons but others — including Colbert — have expressed skepticism that Trump’s repeated criticism of the show had nothing to do with it.
This week’s dispute with Colbert also recalls last fall, when ABC took late-night host Jimmy Kimmel off the air for a remark made about the killing of conservative activist founder Charlie Kirk, only to reinstate him following a backlash by viewers.
As of Wednesday morning, Colbert’s YouTube interview with Talarico had been viewed more than five million times, or roughly double what the comic’s CBS program draws each night. The Texas Democrat also reported that he had raised $2.5 million in campaign donations in the 24 hours after the interview.
___
David Bauder writes about the intersection of media and entertainment for the AP. Follow him at http://x.com/dbauder and https://bsky.app/profile/dbauder.bsky.social.

News from ClarksvilleNow.com

Updated

today in Crime, News

4th suspect, now 19 years old, identified in 2024 Martin Street double homicide

Almost two years after two people were shot to death on Martin Street, court records show four suspects have been charged with first-degree murder.

today in Crime, News

Wanted in Clarksville: Police seek help identifying suspect in Walmart theft

Clarksville Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a suspect in a burglary incident at Walmart.

today in News

Council returns to Ward 2 appointment this week after 2-hour runoff stalemate

The City Council will try again this week to appoint a Ward 2 councilperson. However, there are lingering questions about the process for the council votes.

15-year-old Kamihzhya Chambers. (CPD Contributed)

today in News

MISSING JUVENILE ALERT: CPD asks for public’s help in locating 15-year-old girl

The Clarksville Police Department is asking for the public’s assistance in locating a 15-year-old runaway juvenile.

today in Business, News

Trane to move supplier to new Montgomery County site, taking 12 semis per day off Interstate 24

The first customer at the new NorthPark Logistics site in the Industrial Park will be the supplier for Trane Technologies, and coming up will be a major “Fortune 50” company.