News

LIV Golf to end season early and cancel the Michigan team event

LIV Golf to end season early and cancel the Michigan team event

Team champions captain Cameron Smith, Marc Leishman, Lucas Herbert and Travis Smyth, of Ripper GC, and their caddies celebrate onstage after their first-place win following the final round of the LIV Golf United Kingdom golf tournament Sunday, July 26, 2026, in Rocester, England. (Jon Ferrey/LIV Golf via AP) Photo: Associated Press


By DOUG FERGUSON AP Golf Writer
LIV Golf is ending its season one week earlier than planned, announcing Monday it will not hold the team championship in Michigan next week and instead crown the team champion this week 20 miles north of Indianapolis.
The 12 events this year — New Orleans was previously postponed — is the smallest schedule for LIV since it was launched with massive Saudi Arabia funding in 2022 and featured eight tournaments.
Jon Rahm already has clinched the individual season title for the third straight year. LIV Golf Indianapolis, which starts Thursday at The Club at Chatham Hills, will determine who finishes second and third among the players, and the top team.
The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, the financial muscle of the rival league from the start, decided in March this would be the final year of funding. LIV Golf announced earlier this month it has an agreement with a lead investor that would sustain a new version of the league for 2027.
“By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands,” LIV CEO Scott O’Neil said in a statement.
“We are reimagining LIV Golf as a fundamentally new league owned by the players and anchored in a sustainable business model, with an evolved fan experience built for the markets where the game is growing fastest across the globe and the support of world-class partners.”
The cancellation of LIV Golf Michigan was not surprising. There have been reports in recent weeks the tournament had not even started preparing with grandstands and other amenities. LIV Golf said ticket holders would get refunds.
In another cost-cutting move LIV attributed to “unavoidable changes in the entertainment program,” the league informed Thomas Rhett and Disco Lines their live performances would not take place at LIV Golf Indianapolis.
The final event with a $20 million purse that pays $4 million to the winner could be the last big payoff for LIV and its 57 players. LIV did not identify the lead investor or how much of a cash infusion was involved, or say whether it was an investment or a loan.
O’Neil has said the LIV 2.0 version for 2027 and onward would involve making players equity owners. He referred to it as a “second bite at the apple” being equity instead of cash.
But this likely is the end of $20 million purses for individual outcomes, and there already has been cutbacks. Rahm earned $6 million for winning the points title, down from $18 million the previous two years.
“As we concentrate on finishing the season strong and building the next chapter of LIV Golf, we’ll carry the energy and enthusiasm our fans have shown us into what comes next,” O’Neil said.
The format for the 2027 season and the rosters also remain unclear. Still to be determined is whether Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau — the two biggest names — and other players who joined the league for its exorbitant prize money will want to stay for LIV 2.0.
As for the final event, Joaquin Niemann, Lucas Herbert and Tyrrell Hatton are in the mix for third place, which pays a $1 million bonus. DeChambeau is comfortably in second, which pays $3 million.
Dustin Johnson’s 4Aces team has a narrow lead over Australia-based Ripper, with Rahm’s Legion XIII and Bryson DeChambeau’s Crushers team all in the mix for the team title.
___
See AP’s full golf coverage here

News from ClarksvilleNow.com

yesterday in News

Attendees push back as School Board adopts new rules on signs, disruptions

The School Board voted to tighten decorum rules amid continued public frustration over recent district controversies.

Ajax Turner Senior Citizens Center on Clark Street. (Chris Smith)

yesterday in News

Court rules in favor of Ajax Turner Senior Center nonprofit, allowed to operate if able

A judge ruled that the City of Clarksville’s takeover of the Ajax Turner Senior Center nonprofit was a form of “self-help,” which is prohibited in the State of Tennessee.

Panel discussion on stage with a large U.S. flag backdrop; four people seated, one at a clear podium speaking into a microphone.

yesterday in Elections, News, Special Reports

Mark Riggins raises 11 times nearest opponent in Clarksville mayor’s race

In July and August, Clarksville Now reviewed the campaign donation reports for the City of Clarksville mayoral race. Let’s look at the results so far into 2026.

A teenager on a bicycle collided with an SUV on Black Oak Circle on Aug. 18, 2026. (Enrique Hernandez, Dash 10 Media)

yesterday in News

Teen on bicycle critically injured in crash with SUV in Clarksville

A 14-year-old was hurt in a bicycle crash Tuesday afternoon with an SUV near West Creek High School in Clarksville.

Student using a laptop computer at home. (Metro Creative Services)

Sunday in News

CMCSS says laptop limits in elementary schools in place before new state law

With Tennessee tightening rules on classroom technology, CMCSS says it already scaled back elementary laptop use and moved toward more hands-on learning.